Cistus (Rose Of Sharon)
Cistus (Cistus ladanifer) is also called "Rose of Sharon" and "Rock Rose". Cistus is a perennial shrub that grows wild throughout the Mediterranean and is often cultivated as a garden flower for it's beautifully sweet aroma.
Cistus essential oil is steam-distilled from the flowers, leaves, and stems/twigs of the shrub. It may also be found for sale as a solvent-extracted "absolute". Cistus absolute (also called "Labdanum") has a deeper aroma and is preferred for making perfume. Steam-distilled cistus is better for therapeutic applications!
- Anxiety (reduces)
- Bleeding (stops excess)
- Cell Regenerating
- Cough (eases)
- Hemorrhoids & Anal Fissures (relieves)
- Immune Modulator
- Lymph (encourages drainage)
- Peaceful (promotes)
- Respiratory (supports normal function)
- Scars (reduces appearance of)
- Shock (relieves)
- Skin (relieves chronic conditions)
- Trauma (helps deal with)
- Wound (healing)
- Warming for someone who feels numb or cold after a trauma or loss.
- Wonderful for insomnia as a result of fear or anxiety.
- Grounding and centering for meditation.
- Skin healing - new or old scars, infections, excess bleeding. The antiseptic and astringent properties of Cistus also make it perfect for oily or acne-prone skin.
- Reducing inflammation - arthritis and muscle/joint pain.
- Respiratory support - soothes coughing and loosens congested mucus.
- Lymph - use with a warm compress to aid lymph drainage and reduce lymph node swelling.
- Old or oxidized oils should be avoided.
- Store in a dark, airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Safe to use on most children 1+ years.
A printable version of this Essential Oil Monograph is available inside the AromaLessons™ membership site!
Learn more about AromaLessons™:
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.